List of active policies
Data Protection Policy
South Essex College needs to keep certain information about its employees, students and other users to allow it to monitor performance, achievements, and health and safety, for example. It is also necessary to process information so that staff can be recruited and paid, courses organised and legal obligations to funding bodies and government complied with. To meet our statutory obligations, information must be collected and used fairly, stored safely and not disclosed to others unlawfully. To do this, the College must comply with the Data Protection Principles which are set out in the Data Protection Act and other relevant legislation.
In summary these state that personal data shall be:
- Obtained and processed fairly and lawfully and shall not be processed unless
certain conditions are met.
- Obtained for a specified and lawful purpose and shall not be processed in any
manner incompatible with that purpose.
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive for those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Not kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose.
- Processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights.
- Kept safe from unauthorised access, accidental loss or destruction.
All staff or others who process or use any personal information must ensure that they
follow these principles at all times. In order to ensure that this happens, the College
has developed its Data Protection Policy
Read the detailed policy here.
This Privacy Notice describes how South Essex College of Further and Higher Education protects and makes use of the information you provide us with.
This privacy notice explains how South Essex College of Further and Higher Education ("we", "our", "us") collects, uses and shares your personal data, and your rights in relation to the personal data we hold. This privacy notice concerns our processing of personal data of past, present and prospective students of South Essex College of Further and Higher Education ("you", "your").
South Essex College of Further and Higher Education is the data controller of your
personal data and is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 ("DPA") (and, once in
force, to the General Data Protection Regulation (the "GDPR")).
Who does this apply to?
People who use or may use our services. This includes for example:
• visitors to our website • individuals who study a course with us • employers who purchase training from us • employers who take a student on work experience or placement • employers who employ an Apprentice • individuals who are customers of the college’s commercial operations • individuals who request information from us.
If you are asked to provide information to us, it will only be used in the ways described in this Privacy Notice.
This Privacy Notice is updated from time-to-time. The latest version is published on
our website. Read the complete policy document here.